(January 9, 2020) Norman and Margaret Moss encourage us to fearlessly move ahead in 2020…
Last month, December 6, so many people were enthralled as they watched four 400ft high gigantic cooling towers of the former powers station at Ironbridge, near Telford in Shropshire, England adjacent to the River Severn, being demolished.
Those unused, colossal towers, which had dominated the landscape for almost 50 years, came crashing down. Carefully controlled explosion meant that all four collapsed in four seconds!
Demolition leads to proposed advancement
Of course it was obvious that there had been months of preparation, and that there would be an ensuing massive clearing up operation lasting a long while. But those four seconds were amazing to watch.
The reality is that most of us enjoy a good demolition! You can see it too – Ironside Towers Demolition.
(Images: BBC/Mailonline/other sources)
As well as worldwide TV coverage, hundreds turned up at the site, the region that is called the birthplace of England’s Industrial Revolution, to see this particular demolition.
And the reason for removing those ‘giants’, those ‘mountains’? A proposed moving ahead into 2020! It is hoped that around 1,000 new homes will be built on the site, as well as community facilities and a school.
Believing for our ‘towers’ to be demolished
2019 is gone and the church of Jesus Christ and Christians need to bravely move ahead in this new year, no matter what our ‘gigantic towers of obstacles’ may be!
That Ironbridge moving of mighty towers got us thinking of ‘biblical moving of mountains’ – remember Jesus making that dramatic statement in Matthew 17:20, ‘Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, “Move from here to there,” and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.’
Soon we were meditating on Zechariah 4:6-10.
Like those gigantic towers crashing down had grabbed and held the attention of everyone who watched, so particularly did the heart of verses 6, 7 and 10 grab ours.
Verses 6-7 declare, ‘This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: “Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty. ‘What are you, mighty mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become level ground”.’
And verse 10 brings a challenge: ‘Who dares despise the day of small things.’
We felt that here was an encouraging word from the Lord for Christians determined to move ahead in this 2020, especially if we’re feeling insignificant, or our calling isn’t that important. If we know, rely on and trust the mighty Holy Spirit of God, we can achieve much!
Encouraging basis for determined Christians
Here’s the gist of what we felt the Lord was saying –
- It is all by my Holy Spirit.
- I choose this one and that one to serve me.
- I take that which is weak and by the breath of my Spirit I cause my will to be performed, outworked.
- What I cause you to begin, I cause you to complete by my word and by my Spirit, so that from beginning to end it is all of me, all of my Spirit and all of my spoken word!
- Never despise that which seems and appears small. For that which is small, by the breath of my Spirit can become great and overtake and overthrow that which seems to be so large.
- Run after, and run with my Spirit, and you will see what I will do even with that which seems weak, for my breath is so powerful and my word shall stand throughout eternity.
- Pray that my Spirit should lead you on level ground. Know that often my enemy will raise what seems to be a mountain! But I can overcome any obstacle that seeks to oppose my way in your life. My grace will always be sufficient for you.
- So long as you build on the rock of my word, on the foundation of the gospel, you may be sure that you will finish well.
- To many it will seem a day of small things, but it is not the opinion of man that counts. My all-seeing eyes are on you.
Overcoming opposing ‘towers’ as you move ahead
We are called to serve Jesus in 2020… but we can be held back from moving forward through various sorts of ‘gigantic towers’ in our life. We need to trust that God will bring through such matters.
For example we mustn’t think that what we’re doing in too small, that it won’t go anywhere. When any opposition, any enemy, never mind Satan, comes against us should take this word in Zechariah to heart and know that the Lord will help us overcome that obstacle.
As regarding what others may think, God’s eyes are watching over us to ensure we succeed in accomplishing what he has begun. Later, when they look on the work achieved, they’ll rejoice.
Be sure that a life lived in faith brings rejoicing to God’s heart. Many people have said that 2019 was a bad year, that they’re glad it’s over. There is nothing to regret as determined Christians move ahead this year. We’re washed in the blood of the Lamb and if he is honoured in our life and example to others, then all is as it should be!
Yes, God’s grace is sufficient for us, his strength is made perfect in our weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9). And, after all, it is the meek who will finally inherit the earth (See Matthew 5:5).
We encourage everyone who believes the Lord has a spiritual commission for them in 2020 to move ahead to accomplish that calling as they rely on the power of the Holy Spirit. You can ignore, that is overcome, those ‘gigantic towers.’
Norman and Margaret Moss pastored Queen’s Road Baptist Church, Wimbledon for over 30 years, experiencing charismatic renewal since the 1960s and bringing the congregation into renewal in the 1970s when the church grew significantly. Now travelling widely around the UK and overseas, their desire is to encourage ministers, churches and groups – regardless of size – that are hungry for more of the Holy Spirit. Link: email@example.com