(April 05, 2020) Robert McQuillan shares a fond memory – and brings an Easter missions-centred challenge…
Missionary statesman Dr George Forbes’ Easter article (link below) boldly declares that the heart of every missionary’s message is – Jesus! And goes on to share aspects about that powerful name.
His title reminded me of when we travelled to South Korea back in 1994 to join some two thousand AoG delegates from around the world to celebrate the historic First World AOG Congress in Seoul, hosted by Dr Yonggi Cho, then AoG World Fellowship Chairperson. I also had the privilege of sharing Sheraton Hotel rooms with Dr Andrew Evans, then AoG Australian President.
Each day of the congress, held mainly at Yoido Full Gospel Church, saw outstanding speakers glorifying God, his Son Jesus and the all-powerful Holy Spirit. Later I’d be reporting several superlative quotes by AoG leaders, such as –
- Andrew Evans: ‘Jesus is the king of glory – everything and everyone is under his throne.’
- Thomas Trask (USA): ‘When we move under the dynamics of his Spirit and power, it is in order that Jesus is glorified.’
- Colton Wickramaratne (Sri Lanka): ‘Jesus – we need to be beautified from everything that contaminates.’
- Peter Kuzmic (Croatia): ‘The greatest power in the world – the God who can change history.’
- Errol Bhola (Guyana): ‘A big God can do things in a big way.’
- Prince Guneratnam (Malaysia): ‘We need to believe that there is the possibility of our nation – indeed the whole world – coming to know Jesus.’
- Loren Triplett (USA): ‘Jesus said we ought to pray “Your kingdom come”.’
- David Yonggi Cho: ‘The sin of greatest concern to me today is disbelief in Jesus.’
World’s largest prayer meeting!
Inspiring yes, but what happened on the Monday after Sunday’s several Holy Spirit anointed services was mind-blowing, so incredible that one would later resort to clichés like: ‘You would have had to been there to experience it for yourself!’ So many Christians from all over had gathered to pray!
Can you image over one million people gathering on the huge, runway-long Yoido Plaza to pray for the world? (more…)