(November 26, 2017) Stuart Reynolds challenges the church about subtle ‘twilight talk’ …
‘The place is here, the time is now, and the journey into the shadows that we’re about to watch could be our journey….You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension – a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into the Twilight Zone….’
Many of us from more than a generation ago will recall these words from Rod Sterling, as he would introduce another episode of that cult classic TV show, The Twilight Zone, where there is no ‘up’ or ‘down’ or ‘out.’
The world without God has always lived in a Twilight Zone of darkness, desperation, destruction and death.
The burden of this article is over the increasing journey of retreat and regression the church has made back into that same zone of vagueness, uncertainty, and indistinctiveness, where …
- Less and less is clear, sound and sure.
- Commands have become suggestions.
- Truth is a matter of opinion and feeling, resulting in a muddled-morality.
- We have a mixed message that leaves us bereft of a truly ‘blessed assurance.’
- Christian fundamentals have been replaced and succeeded by subtle and dangerous baseless assumption!