(December 21, 2022) Maureen McQuillan responds to a thoughtful friend…
Dear Pastor Maureen
Just curious, my friend… I know you have lots of memories of experiences with God and life itself. Was wondering what special memories or thoughts come to you at this Christmas season? Rebecca.
Gosh, what can I tell you? I have quite a few… but, apart from great church carol services as a child praising God for the gift of His Son, Jesus, I’ll tell you of the two major ones that always come back to me, indeed I’ll always remember them, and have written about them before! (And a thought.. number three).
Number 1… Christmas Day itself
I can never forget Christmas Day way back in 1962! Our precious daughter Wendy was born! Robert and I were so young, still regarded as kids in many ways, even though we were in our very early twenties. With the Lord’s help everything went well, including a miracle and other delights…
(December 17, 2020) Robert and Maureen McQuillan remind readers of the real reason for the season – lost people needing to be found!
For decades, the jovial fat man dressed in red has replaced the advent of our Saviour Jesus as the central focus of Christmas. Christmas became ‘Xmas’ – as if Christ has been cancelled out and without meaning. Generally, people have always regarded Christmas as a special time of family, fun, food, cards and presents… but the birth of Jesus is still central for Bible-believers!
We ourselves particularly recall some Christmases as special and precious…
- Weeks of carols played in shops and expressions of genuine well wishes for Christmas.
- Christmas Day mornings back home awakening early to faithful carol singers from a local church gathering in the snow under a streetlight and warmly heralding the birth of Jesus.
- Then the traditional gleeful opening of presents and the excitement following.
- Soon we’d be hurrying off to early church for a down-to-earth service that highlighted the arrival
of the Saviour of the world who came to bring peace to earth.
- The Christmas Day luncheon and family fun together.
- And, most especially, that best Christmas Day morn of all when our beautiful darlin’ daughter Wendy was born!